Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Part 2 : Food-Hunting in Ho Chi Minh

It's tea time!!! Let me get myself a cup of really hot chocolate on this rainy day… before I share with you guys & gals the 'makan' place in Ho Chi Minh City… I still remember the first day I stepped onto the land of Ho Chi Minh, I was already hunting for dining places there. Simply because I'm a dedicated food lover and I crave for them every minute… I like to be adventurous, trying out new things whenever I can. Eating the same thing over and over again everyday is like – BORING! Moreover, I was in a new environment, so I did not waste the opportunity to hunt for something new and refreshing!

1) Deep Fried Elephant Ear Fish

Fear not to try this strange-looking fish. It may look weird (and scary at times) but wait 'til you taste it. *Two-thumbs up!* It’s actually a type of relatively big-sized fish called Elephant Ear Fish fried with its scales on. 3 simple words – crispy, tasty and yummy!

2) King Prawns

Look at how big the prawns can actually grow! Well, if I'm not wrong, I found them "dead" in Ben Thanh Market. To my surprise, the price was rather reasonable. Basically, you can have them served in Vietnamese style, served with some special sauce of lime + salt + pepper + chili powder. (I guess this sauce is really "THE" special sauce as it's generally found in most dishes in Vietnam).

3) Shrimp Spring Rolls

In short, shrimp popiah. Like those I shared with you in my previous post about Hanoi, these were similar but fresh shrimps, instead of chicken meat, were wrapped in the thin rice paper roll. Together in there were some fresh lettuce and vegetable which added the extra texture to the spring rolls a.k.a. popiah.

4) Vietnamese Drip Coffee

The first time I saw this, I thought to myself, do I have to wait until the night falls just to taste a sip of the ever-famous Vietnamese coffee? Eventually I was wrong. Of course you wouldn't need to wait long for the coffee to drip. It's actually a way Vietnamese relax while stealing some time to enjoy their favourite cup of drink. Must try! Options : Kopi (with milk) or Kopi-O (no milk)!

My goodness! I need another cup of hot chocolate! My stomach is growling again… (although it’s just after tea time). Could it be because of the tempting food/drink I'm writing on? Wait 'til I fly to Ho Chi Minh again (for the king prawns and coffee)… with PYO Travel (of course!)... Ciao!

Thanks Jacqueline for the beautiful photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment