Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Live to Eat while You’re at Taipei

I think it’s an Asian/ Malaysian thing. We have this gastronomical appetite to eat all the time. Eating to us is more than just a need to survive, more than a desire to live, more than a duty to our living body to put something into our mouth, making sure our body has the energy it needs to function. We take great pleasure knowing that we not only eat to live, but we live to eat. So what is better than to live to eat while you’re at Taipei?

In Taipei, night markets are a frequent occurrence at various streets in different parts of the city on different days of the week. . It is a street market that comes alive around five in the evening and peaks as night envelops the earth in darkness. But fear not, colourful neon lights and humble yellow tungsten bulbs will one-by-one blink into life, bringing light to showcase a myriad of food fares that will sent anyone salivating.

the many stalls at Shilin

Shilin Night Market at Taipei city is by far the most popular night spot for locals as well as tourist to sample the famous Taiwanese street cuisine, commonly known as ‘small eats’ (小吃). The servings come in little portions like the Spanish tapas so that people can try as much different food as possible without filling up the stomach too quickly.

A cheerful, happy, noisy crowd

You see hoards of people surrounding various stalls selling their signature dish, excitement clearly written on their face as they talk animatedly with their friends or family around them while waiting patiently for the moment to bite into heaven. The thing that is most delightful to eating at night markets is you get to try the various taste of different paradise, as created by the hawkers. (Tip: the more people waiting at a particular stall, the more you should wait in line and try it too! It’s most probably good.)

I will happily confess to you that I’m a food junkie, totally absolutely addicted to eating. The ecstasy of tasting divine flavours of the world is enough to bring forth an orgasmic pleasure. More wonderfully added to this experience is that I can see so many others sharing this passionate bliss with me. Lets dig in with me now and see what you can find at this infamous Shilin Night Market.

Good old traditional Pepper Pie

This sesame coated pie is to die-for. According to the locals, this pie originated from Foochow, China. It has made its way to Taipei and pepper was added to create its current identity. Baked in a traditional wooden charcoal burning oven, it takes just slightly more than 10 minutes for this pie to turn golden yellow and smelling good. It is definitely one of the phenomenal eats to try while you’re at Shilin.

Taste the Juiciness of these Xiao Long Pao

I know this dish may be known as ‘Shang Hai’ Xiao Long Pao, but the ones at Shilin have its individual taste. There’s a way proper way to try these ‘little paos’. First, bite a little hole at the top of the Xiao Long Pao, then you breathe in the delicious smelling steam from the ‘juice’ inside as it cools down, next you put the whole Xiao Long Pao into your mouth and feel the juice flow as you bite into the juicy meat inside.

Foot long Sausages, anyone?

The Westerners have their hot dogs, the Chinese have their jumbo sausages. Fat and juicy and up to a foot long, these sausages is simply mouth-watering. There are a number of flavours for you to choose from too from different stalls. Because it is so long, it’s a good idea to buy one from each flavour and share it with your travel partners.

Errr... who wants to try?

Ok, I have to admit that this does not look too appetizing; I can also guarantee you that it doesn’t smell like your normal tantalizing food aroma. This is all because it’s the notorious Taiwanese ‘Ma Po’ Smelly Tofu! I think it takes guts for a lot of people to try this. For me, I’ll just pinch my nose shut, and shove it into my mouth. I believe the taste gets better if I give it another few more tries. (Beware, it’s spicy! But you can also choose the not-so-spicy version)

There are so many more unique fares that can be found at Shilin Night Market that one night there is simply not enough to try it all. I so wish I can eat non-stop from 5pm up to 2am. I’ll feel so bloated, but I know I’ll be satisfied. No complains here, I’ll come back!

Do share with me what other food you find good there and let me know ya!

** Check out the hotels which are located near Shilin at PYOTravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment